Monday, September 17, 2007

New Ship

While I was in Honolulu 2 weeks ago, I helped buy supplies for the island and this morning the ship that was carrying them came in. So I finally get a new bike and a new mattress. Good stuff to have since I use both of them every day. We also got a few visitors. A few of the USFWS people from Honolulu came out. I'm glad they come so they can see what issues we have in person rather than just hearing about them over the phone.
It's actually very complicated. For instance, the endangered Laysan ducks sometimes like to hang out in the verbesina, which of course is a highly invasive weed that chokes out native plants and ruins albatross nesting areas. So people have to decide weather it's more important to get rid of the weeds or take a chance on hurting a duck. That's just one example, but that's the kind of stuff that we think about here.

This is our supply ship, the "Kahana". One of those shipping containers has my bike and matress.

While I was taking a picture of the Kahana, I saw this white tern chick. Since I haven't given you one for a while, here it is.
Close-up of the same chick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is obvious the chick only has eyes for you, Pete.
Can't wait to see a picture of your new bike.