Sunday, March 16, 2014

C-130

It was another cool, windy week.  At least the albatross chicks aren't getting overheated yet.  A Coast Guard C-130 came in for a day this week.  They had a search operation in the area.  Landings were more common when we were able to do more medical evacuations from passing ships.  Other than that, it was a usual week with the Laysan duck botulism checks, albatross plot monitoring, invasive plant removal, and of course, trying to get all my affairs in order to move out 2 weeks from Tuesday.  Thanks for the nice comments this past week!

 The C-130 crew spent the day here since they have to land and take off at night, and the pilots need their rest.
 Volunteer Hope is painting some of the Short-tailed albatross decoys in the garage.

This is Frigate Point.  This area is closed, so we don't go there much, but I was giving Bret the island tour.

There are even fewer albatrosses in this photo of the parade field than when I showed the same area 2 weeks ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pete,
I lived on Midway in 1958. Reading your blog and seeing your photos has brought me back to that very happy time in my life. Living on Midway was a gift. Thanks for bringing back the memories. I'll miss you and wish you as much happiness as you have brought me. Good Luck in your future work.

Anonymous said...

Pete
Thanks for all the posts. I lived there as a kid when my dad was in the Seabees. He ran the power plant. I visited in 2001 and loved it. It is nice to see the pictures and keep up with what's going on at the island. Please try and talk the new manager into continuing a blog.
Good luck with your new post.
Clayton

Pete Leary said...

Thanks for the comments and the sentiment. I know I'll be wanting to see what's going on out here too after I move away.