Sunday, March 2, 2014

Canaries

The albatross chicks are mostly on their own now.  There are a few parents still incubating the chicks, but most are out getting food to bring back.  It has still been consistently windy, and I wish that I had pictures of the huge waves that have been pounding the reef from the northwest.  The reef is about 4 miles away from the North Beach, so the photos of the 30-60 foot waves don't do them justice.

The volunteers have been organizing journal clubs lately.  They choose a journal article to read and then have a discussion.  The last article is interesting reading that you should be able to find online if you're interested.  It was originally in The Auk journal in 1912.  The article tells the story of the introduction of the canaries to Midway in the great prose of the early 1900's.  The article is titled, "The introduction and acclimatization of the Yellow Canary on Midway Island", by William Alanson Bryan.

This canary is one of the descendants of the one original pair that was brought here in 1909 and 2 additional males that were brought in 1910.

A Laysan albatross chick waits in the parade field for its next meal.  The parade field is less crowded with most of the parents out to sea.

 This parent is back to feed its chick.

 Our marine debris pile is getting large again.  That red container in the back wasn't debris.

Here's one of the more ironic items that washed up.  It says "keep our beaches clean" and "Heal the Bay".  At least we are reusing it and filling it back up.

 Those big waves that I was talking about cleaned up the beach next to the cargo pier.  I'm sure a lot of that stuff will be back soon enough.

5 comments:

Elliot said...

Pete,

I wonder if that trash can came from Santa Monica?

http://www.healthebay.org/about-us

Thanks for the updates, I read them all and enjoy them so much.

Elliot

Pete Leary said...

Hi Elliot. Thanks for the comment. I think you're right about that can coming from Santa Monica. The logo on the can is the same as on the site.

Jenny Hills said...

Testimony Of Transformation With The Help Of Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com

I am writing this Testimony because am really grateful for what MARTINEZ LEXIE did for me and my family when I thought there was no hope he came and make my family feel alive again by lending us loan at a very low interest rate of 2%, well I have been searching for a loan to settle my debts and bills for the past months all I met scammed and took my money total 6,500usd until I finally met a God sent Lender. I never thought that there are still genuine lenders on the internet but to my greatest surprise i got my loan form this great company without wasting much time so if you are out there looking for a loan of any kind for business or other purposes i would advise you to email Mr MARTINEZ LEXIE via: ( Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com ) or through the Company website: http://lexieloans.bravesites.com OR text: +18168926958 and be free of internet scams. thanks… Jenny Hills Resident: Los Angeles CA, United State



OLIVER JOHNSON MOORE said...

HOW I WAS RESCUED BY A GOD FEARING LENDER {jonesloaninvestment@hotmail.com}

Hello everyone, I am Oliver Johnson Moore from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to EDWARD JONES for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, i was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, i was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to EDWARD JONES LOAN COMPANY and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 28hrs just like my friend Lisa, i was also granted a loan of $387,000.00; So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 2% and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact EDWARD JONES LOAN COMPANY. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, i'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on {jonesloaninvestment@hotmail.com} or Text +1(240) 686-5090 and you can view our webpage on https://jonesloanfinance.wixsite.com/loan

Alexis Ohanian said...

BETTERMENT FUNDING {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}
Hi everyone, i am Alexis Ohanian am so glade coming back to this great forum to testify about the help i received from Chester Brian. I was in desperate need of a loan in other to be free from debt and financial bondage that was place on me by my ex husband. It was really bad that i have to seek for help from Friends,family and even my bank but on one could assist me because my credit score was really bad. So i was browsing with my computer and saw some testimonies from people Chester Brian assisted with a loan, then i decided to contact him on his email {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}, then i received a mail from them and i did all that was asked from me. To my greatest surprise they transferred to my account the loan i requested and now i am so happy clearing my debt and have also started a business with the remaining amount to take care of myself and family. If you need a loan do contact the best loan lender of all time Chester Brian on his email: {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}