Sunday, August 5, 2007

Skipped a day

Sorry I couldn't post last night. More internet problems. Anyway, yesterday was pretty busy. We sprayed a bunch of weeds in the morning and in the afternoon we we over to the doctor's cemetary to do some work. There is another gun emplacement right near the cemetary (it looks just like the one I posted pictures of the other day). It was really overgrown with weeds and trees so since it's a historical site, we cleared a path to it and chainsawed the trees growing out of it. Like the other one, I didn't even know it was there even though I'd been by it many times. At least I had an excuse to go jump in the ocean again at the end of the day. It's so relaxing.
Last night Kate (the girl from New Zealand) gave a talk about the place she works. It's called Taiaroa Head and they have Royal Albatrosses there so it was interesting to see those. They are bigger than our Laysan albatrosses (the chicks weigh up to 28 lbs while ours only weigh about 8 lbs). It's funny that they have a whole complex to just watch less than 100 birds since we usually have over 800,000 albatrosses at Midway.
Today was pretty lazy. I watched some TV and talked on the phone. Tonight we had a going away party for our safety officer who's been here for 2 1/2 years. He'll be out on the Friday flight. We had a pool tournament also but I got beat out the first round since I scratched on the 8 ball. The band played too. "Hotel California" just doesn't sound the same when the singer doesn't speak english, but it adds to the island atmosphere. I took a few pictures last night before Kate's talk so here they are.
"C" is at the bottom right taking a picture of the sunset.
Here's a juvenile albatross enjoying the view and deciding when to leave.

No comments: