Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Shark

Today while I was out spraying the weeds I saw a shark. No, I wasn't near the water. I found a dead shark in the middle of the field. It was tiny, only about 13 inches. Apparently an albatross ate it and brought it back to feed its chick, but it was a little too big. So now I've seen a shark eating an albatross and a shark eaten by an albatross.


Here's the shark by the nest. It sort of looks like a cookie cutter shark. They only get to be 18 to 20 inches long. It's hard to tell though since this wasn't that fresh. They call them cookie cutter sharks because they go up to bigger fish and seals and just bite a little circle out of them, then swim away.

2 comments:

Shammickite said...

I've been lurking on your blog and I find the work that you do very interesting... what a great place to work! And you have such good pics.
I was recently nominated for the "Big E for Excellent" blog award... and I'm supposed to nominate 10 bloggers to share it with me... you're on my list! And then the winners share with 10 more bloggers, and so on and so forth, until we all get one, whether we are Exellent or not!

Pete Leary said...

Thanks, I've checked out your blog too and liked it.
It's not too difficult to post interesting pictures and stories since there's always something interesting here.